top of page
  • Elizabeth Healy

Home Modifications for Seniors – Getting Them Done

Are you an elderly senior in need of home repairs such as grab bars, ramps, stairlifts, or the bathroom? There are various programs that offer assistance with the cost of home repairs and modifications, or you can reach out to Seniors Home Services for a personalized, no obligation, consultation.

The Department of Aging is the state level agency that administers a broad range of services to older adults and their families. It operates through a network of Area Agencies on Aging. Various states have been known to offer free roof repairs, replace old windows with more energy-efficient units, and more. Additional home repair grants may also be provided through other local programs.

LIHEAP is a federal program that helps eligible low-income households with their heating and cooling bills. This can come in the form of direct payments, vouchers, or weatherization efforts.

The Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) was created by the U.S. government to assist people who are struggling to keep up with their energy bills by providing them with direct financial assistance or financial support to install things that will improve energy efficiency in their homes.

The Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) is designed to help low-income homeowners (or long-term renters) revamp their homes to be more energy efficient. The program’s goal is to reduce energy consumption by installing improvements such as weather stripping and insulation, caulking, attic retrofits, heating system replacements, furnaces etc. The DOE guidelines mandate that states give priority eligibility to persons with disabilities and the elderly, making it a great opportunity for seniors.

If you receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) you are automatically eligible to receive weatherization services!

FHA 203(k) and Limited 203(k) loan programs finance the renovation of a primary residence. They allow homeowners to borrow money from the FHA to finance up to 100% of the cost of rehabilitation, including labor and materials. The FHA has set limitations on what can be financed under these programs, but for most homeowners, it will cover most or all of the costs necessary for home renovations.

  • 203(k) limited loan: Offers up to $35,000 for renovations and minor home repairs. However, major structural repairs are not eligible.

  • 203(k) standard loan: Renovations must cost at least $5,000, with extensive repairs being eligible. With this loan, you must hire a HUD consultant to manage the renovation process.

Do you live in a rural area? USDA’s Section 504 Home Repair program might be an option. The program offers both loans and government grants, with slightly different usage requirements.

  • USDA Loans can be used to repair, improve or modernize a low-income family’s home

  • USDA Grants must be used to remove health and safety hazards (ex. adding ramps and bars for those with disabilities, repair roof, etc).

Rebuilding Together is a nonprofit organization that focuses on helping with emergency home repairs, as well as other home modifications for people who need such. Their mission is to create healthy homes and communities by transforming neighborhoods from disrepair to durability, revitalizing families with safe and stable housing, and empowering volunteers through leadership development, training and service work.

Do you want to know more places where you can get help to pay for home renovations for your aging loved one? Click here for your free resource guide! Call or Text 800-480-3344 to reach one of our care consultants for more information or to be connected to one of our vetted, certified, and caring home modification companies.

68 views0 comments
bottom of page